Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Week 1: Portraits of Papa

Hello! It's been awhile since I've said anything on here, but I have been doing well. I just haven't thought of any topics that I've felt like discussing on here. So...I thought that perhaps this blog could be brought back to its original purpose that I had devised for it back in...2016? The original reason I had set this blog up was so that I could have a place to share progress on projects that I'm working on. Anyway.

My family started up our school year last Friday, as my brother's high school had orientation for freshman that day. The younger two boys and I are homeschooling again this year. The boys are using Seton Home Study School, but I'm taking one class through Homeschool Connections, another through local homeschool group, as well as completing various projects that my mom assigns to me according to my personal interests. So, I'm getting a new taste of homeschool this year, which is fun.

One category of said projects is art. I have been drawing portraits for a few years, and I absolutely love seeing a face appear on the page beneath my pencil and (with luck and shading) take on a decently realistic appearance. I find it very fulfilling. As my grandpa's birthday was last week, my mom gave me the assignment of drawing him a portrait.

My Mom's Two Favorite Beards

This reference image for this picture had been captured when my family was riding our pontoon on the Mississippi River. Grandpa was sitting beside our cockapoo dog, Bosco, and both of their beards were blowing in the wind. It was a bit of a challenge to draw a side portrait and to draw so much hair, but I really enjoyed it!


Reindeer Suit

Last week, I hadn't been quite sure if I was happy with how the Beards drawing turned out. So, to play it safe, I decided to make two portraits for Grandpa. This picture was taken at Christmas. My family had given him a reindeer pajama suit, and my mom had captured his amused expression in the reference picture. As this is closer to the style of portrait that I usually draw, it was a bit easier...in one sense. It was also harder, though, as I had to draw a LOT more hair than usual...and I really had to work to capture Grandpa's features. My mom isn't an easy critic when it comes to capturing her dad's face on the page! Eventually, however, I was able to meet her (and thus my!) standards with this picture.

Grandpa loved both drawings! It made me so happy to see his smile when I showed them to him and my grandma. As much as I enjoyed making these pictures, it was even better to present them, especially since my grandpa loves art. Very, very rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment